Hello,

On 9/21/06, Meino Christian Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the key nameing of...
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:02:19 +0200

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I often have the problem to guess, how a certain keysequence is named
> >  by the syntax of the vim scripting language.
> >
> >  Recently I tried to map Control-CursorUp but it simply does not work
> >  for me.
> >
> >  Is there any function/script/hack/trick/* like Ctrl-v is for the "raw
> >  keysequence" to display the <"key"> thingy?
> >
> >  Something like (example!)  :
> >
> >  :showkey<CR>
> >
> >  will display
> >
> >  :press key
> >
> >  then one presses the key in question (for example Alt plus F11...)
> >  and then it displays:
> >
> >  :<C-F11>

> >  (an example only just to get around my limitied "power of
> >  explanation"... ;O)
> >
> >  ????
> >

> Ctrl + CursorUp is <C-Up> in a mapping
> Alt + F11 is <M-F11> or <A-F11>
>
> In the GUI but not in console Vim, you can find the value by hitting the
> key preceded by Ctrl-V (or Ctrl-Q if you use Ctrl-V to paste) in either
> Insert/Replace or Command-line modes
>
> In the GUI and also in console Vim, you can find the value by hitting
> the special key or key combo preceded by Ctrl-K in either Insert/Replace
> or Command-line modes.
>
> I don't know whether this second method also applies in "tiny" or
> "small" versions of Vim (which lack the +digraphs feature); but these
> versions also lack expression evaluation, so I personally give them a
> wide berth.

 thanks for your explanations ! :)

 Ctrl-v gives me the "raw values" (that is the binary representation)
 of the keycodes. But I wanted the way of "name" those keysequences
 when using in vim scripts displayed.

As explained under ":help i_CTRL-K", you can get the keycodes for
special keys by pressing CTRL-K followed by the key in insert
mode.

- Yegappan