From: Benji Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Plain TeX support ?
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:41:31 -0400

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 04:37:16PM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> > After I wrote my first TeX-text without Emacs/AucTeX spontaneous I
> > would say the following things are missing:
> >
> > A Keystrokes to insert {\bf X }, {\it X \/} and such where X marks the
> >   cursor position after doing the keystroke.
> >
> > B Interface to run TeX and a viewer (configurable) on the file one is
> >   editing which ensures, that the file on the HD is uptodate.
> >
> > C Defintions to automatically map "<word>" to ``<word>'' and to remap
> >   - in my case - german umlauts to the TeX-commandsequences. This
> >   should be done for any non-ASCII-character. Most of the bugs I had
> >   to remove while trying to tex my file were of such kind.
> >
> > I have not proofen that this is not already implemented, I only read
> > the few lines of the help text for ft-tex-plugin. And didn't fiddle
> > with quickfix and such. May be quickfix can be misused for texing ?
> > Dont know.
> >
> > Keep hacking and TeXing!
> > mcc
>
>      First, let me make some general remarks.  With vim 7.0, we
> introduced the file type plaintex.  I made this the default, which
> annoys some LaTeX users, so I am glad to know that there are still some
> people out there who are using plain TeX (and editing with vim).  I
> maintain the ftplugin files for tex and plaintex, so I could add some
> features there; but I try to be conservative, and follow the principle
> of least surprise.  So I prefer not to add too many key mappings to the
> default ftplugin files (even smart quotes, which would be a *pleasantC*
> surprise for most users).
>
> A. What keys do you suggest for entering {\bf X } and {\it X \/}, and
> do you really want a space after the X (cursor)?  Perhaps using the
> control or meta (alt) key?  (I hope no one flames me for suggesting that
> meta and alt are the same thing, when I really know better!)  Do you
> want a marker added so that you can jump out of the braces and continue
> input?  Presumably, whatever key you use to do {\bf X} in Insert mode
> should also apply in Visual mode to insert "{\bf " before the Visual
> selection and append "}" after it.
>
> B. Another reply pointed out how to go in the other direction:  from a
> viewer (such as Yap) to the tex file.  Of course, that depends on the
> viewer.  Note that you can start vim (not gvim) with the --servername
> TEX option, provided that vim is compiled with the +clientserver option.
> (This may not be the default if vim is compiled without GUI support.
> Check the output of
>
> :version
>
> to see if is is there.)
>
>      It is certainly possible to compile using the quickfix commands.  I
> think the compiler plugin was not updated when the plaintex file type
> was introduced, so you may have to do something like
>
> :let b:tex_flavor = 'plain'
> :compiler tex
> :make %

> [...]

Hi Benji,

 thanks a lot for your reply ! :)

 Yes, they are still there...the people who believes 8bit
 homecomputers are the best ones world ever has seen, that a terminal
 only needs 40x24 characters, that icons are a waste of time for one
 who still is able to read and that 1Mhz clock frequency is enough --
 if one is /really/ able to program good and fast code...and who are
 hacking plain TeX. LaTeX is for those, who do park there cars under
 trees in the shadow, you know...

 just kidding...nothing meant seriously...I only like the imagination
 of computer nerds still knowing the task of every memory cell of the OS of
 their computers (see Google: "Mapping the ATARI")

 ok, enough folklore, guys...hahahaha! :)))))))

 A: No, it was a type by me: I dont want a " " after the "X", only \it
 needs a "\/" after "X". The marker-thingy would be nice! This would
 be a better implementation as that of the original AucTeX! :)
 The bracketing (correct English?...dont looks like that...but even
 LEO.org does not know any valid translation of "to put something into brackets"
 from german to English in one word. (germ. "Klammerung")) of a visual
 mark with the font setting commands is great! That is, what AucTeX
 also provides -- and which I like very much! :)

 B: The situation with the dvi viewer has been relaxed at least for
 me: Kdvi understands to automagically reload a dvi file when it has
 changed . So it does not hurt that much, when I will start kdvi ones
 per "TeX session" by hand. Other users my use other dvi-viewers and
 may have other preferences here.

 I just got quickfix compiling my TeX file.
 But I had to set the following in my ~/.vimrc :

    "SETTINGS plain TeX

"================================================================================
    augroup tex
        au FileType tex set tw=72
        au FileType tex compiler tex
    augroup END

    " TeX related stuff

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    let g:tex_flavor = "tex"            " default TeX format is "plain"

 It does not work for me when setting 'compiler tex' and
 'g:tex_flavor = "plaintex"'. I got the errormessage then:

    zsh: command not found: plaintex

    Press ENTER or type command to continue

 I am using a current version of teTeX on a Gentoo Linux System (daily
 updated via emerge). There is no executable called "plaintex".

 Thank you for supporting the /real/ TeX! {\bf :O) }

 Keep hacking!
 mcc

 PS: By the way: Are you using Ruby, Benji? I know "The principle of
 least surprise" from programming Ruby...