On 9/29/06, Georg Dahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi!

--- Jeremy Conlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No, linebreak just *displays* a broken line, I want a *real* broken
> line.  I want Vim to insert <EOL>s for me.  I thought that is what
> textwidth would do.

Of course, you still have to set 'textwidth', too.

:set textwidth=80
:set linebreak

will do, what you want. The option 'linebreak' does not do any wrapping, but
just determines where Vim will wrap long lines. These breaks can be soft (if
the option 'wrap' is set) or hard (if 'textwidth' or 'wrapmargin' is set).

Just read

:h linebreak
:h textwidth
:h wrapmargin
:h wrap
:h breakat

Best wishes,
Georg

You were right (of course).  I discovered the reason this was not
working for me was because I didn't have the "t" option in
formatoptions.  Now that I have included that, it works!
Thanks for your patience.
Jeremy