Is it on the to-do list to make diffoff restore from previous values rather
than default ones, or is there already an option somewhere that toggles the
behaviour?

    AFAIK you have to save the options before starting diff mode and
restore them later.  At least, that is the answer to the question you
asked.  Maybe if you give more detail about what you are trying to do,
someone can give a more helpful answer.

I had a file open with foldmethod=marker, then I :vimdiff'd it against another file, made my changes to the original file, then :q'd the second file and :diffoff'd the first, but it was still using foldmethod=diff.

Thanks.

--

.