Anne Wall wrote:
Oh mah gah. That's the best.

You've really encapsulated the whole deal here. Thank you, because
that's pretty excellent.

Thanks for the compliment; I used to be a teacher.

I already knew that there were about 132 patches for vim, and I optimistically applied every single one before trying the install the first time. That in itself was a bit silly, because I didn't realize that some of them are platform-specific. Oy.

I'm going to give it a shot and get the other packages.

I also apply every single patch as it gets published, and I have no problem with that (as I have downloaded the full sources, not only the "unix" and "lang" archives but also "extra"). Any modules that I don't need (such as Windows- or Mac-specific modules when compiling on Linux) are simply not compiled; and the binary which I just compiled neatly displays "Included patches: 1-144" in the output of its ":version" command.

Since (IIUC) the Unix shell expands the wildcards in lexicographic order, after downloading all patches into (let's say) ~/.build/vim/vim70/patches/, you can apply them (for your first v7 compile) by doing

        cd ~/.build/vim/vim70
        cat patches/7.0.??? | patch -p0

For incremental patching (when a few new patches are published, and you've already applied the previous ones) it's usually easier to apply them one-by-one: e.g., the next one will be

        patch -p0 <patches/7.0.145

unless of course Vim 7.1 comes out first ;-).

Best regards,
Tony.