I am using :startinsert! from my plugin to put the user in insert mode,
but if the user doesn't type anything for 'updatetime' after this, no
CursorHoldI event is generated. I tried doing an explicit :doauto right
after :startinsert!, but Vim ignores it, probably because the command
only schedules for an insert mode (doesn't immediate change it).

Note that the CursorMovedI gets triggered correctly in this case, but I
don't want to use that as I don't want to know about every character
that user types, but only when the user is holding.

Any suggestions for a workaround?

I have Vim7 upto the patch 146.

--
Thanks,