Tim Chase wrote:
set guifont=Lucida_Console:h10
"Courier:h10" also works but other common fonts like
"Arial:h10" don't work. Is that because they are not
mono spaced?

Courier_New (a fixed-width TrueType font) is usually better-looking (if not by much) than Courier (a bitmapped font). Also, Courier_New usually has a richer repertoire of foreign-language glyphs than many other fonts. See below how to find out which fonts are acceptable to Vim and try them out.

gVim's only happy with monospaced fonts. I've heard rumors of being able to coerce it to used other fonts, but the results are usually pretty ugly.

    :help e236

for more on that.

Vim must have a fixed-width font, except the GTK2 version, which doesn't run on Windows (it's one of the flavours of GUI for X11); and even then, non-monospaced fonts are indeed pretty ugly in Vim since it uses a fixed character cell: narrow letters like i would have too much space around them, and wide letters like m might get clipped at right.

If I find a font which I like, must I put it into
Windows' Fonts directory, yes?

It must be accessible like fonts in any other program in Windows which generally means putting them in the system-wide fonts directory. I don't know if Win32 offers a means for a non-priv'ed user to add fonts to the system by putting them in some magic directory in their own branch of the "Documents and Settings" folder.

But then I need to work out the syntax for it in
_gvimrc.  How do I work it out? OK, a space in Windows
is probably an underscore, but is there anything else
I need look out for?

The easiest way is to simply use

    :set guifont=*

and pick the font you want/like.  Then, simply issue

    :set guifont?

and Vim will tell you what it wants. There are a variety of characters that need to be escaped (spaces, commas, backslashes) all described in :help guifont

-tim

Or, once you have what you like, type

        :set guifont=<Tab>

(i.e., hit the tab key after the equal sign). Vim will fill-in your current setting, with escaping backslashes if and where needed. On Windows there usually aren't many for the 'guifont' option, since spaces can be replaced by underscore. You can edit the value in-place (then Enter to accept or Esc to cancel) if you're not 100% satisfied; or if you are, write the line down and copy that verbatim to your gvimrc.