those with static typing, and while I don't want to get into the
debate on which is better, sometimes it makes sense to use a dynamic
language to generate code in a statically typed language.

It's like asking whether a hammer or a screwdriver is better. Both are suited well to particular tasks.

So, we run into a problem: how does one syntax highlight mixed
language code?  I don't know how others do this.  Maybe they don't

While an arbitrary pairing of language N with embedded language M may not be a trivial task, you can look at the symbiosis between the existing HTML, PHP, and JavaScript syntax files which have something like what you describe. That way, one might at least be able to do something like create a tweaked Lisp syntax file that recognizes embedded Assembler code, or some other such unholy matrimony. :) (okay, I'm guilty of writing programs that write code to ensure that all combinations of N items were correctly accounted for in a massively ugly IF branch...so I know there are times one would want to do such a thing)

-tim