On 11/2/06, Bill McCarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu 2-Nov-06 4:11pm -0600, Richard Querin wrote:

> The abbreviation method seems the simplest for me at the
> moment, but I can't seem to figure out how to make a
> multiline abbreviation in my .vimrc file. I've tried using
> <CR> characters in the string and quoting it as well..
> both to no avail. Any hints?

Actually, using the <CR> characters should work fine.
Perhaps you have some setting interfering.  You should be

Check the 'cpoptions' option setting. To use symbolic representation
of key codes in maps and abbreviations, make sure  the '<' flag is
not present in 'cpoptions'. To use raw key-codes in a map or
abbreviation, make sure the 'k' flag is not present in 'cpoptions'.

- Yegappan

able to place the following in a script file (or your
vimrc):

    ab lhs This is line 1.<CR>
        \This is line 2.<CR>
        \This is line 3.

For a simple test, start gvim without any mods:

    gvim -u NONE -i NONE -N

And define an abbreviate call "abb":

    :ab abb This<CR>is<CR>a<CR>test.

Now type:  iabb<enter>