Eddy Zhao wrote:

     I tried this on FC2:

:set stl=%{&imd}
:inoremap <ESC> <ESC>:set imd<CR>
:nnoremap i :set noimd<CR>i

The first line (along with my usual :set laststatus=2) means that I can
check my 'imd' setting in the status line.  When I go between Normal and
Insert modes with i and <Esc>, it changes from 1 to 0 and back, so I
think it is working.

Yes, I get the same result.

     Please try this and see whether you get anything different.  Also,
try it with

$ vim -u NONE
:set nocp

If you get the same results but are still having trouble, then the
problem might be some other setting.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher

When starting with "-u NONE", status line isn't showed.
Is there anything else I can do to locate the problem?

Thanks
Eddy

Enter ":set stl=%{&imd} ls=2" after starting Vim, and the status line will be shown, with 0 ('noimdisable') or 1 ('imdisable') on it.