Paul Stone wrote:
I know this is a bizarre request.  I would like to prevent Vim from
going to my Home directory.  The reason is that my IT department has
mapped my home directory to a laggy network drive with a login script.
I can't override the Windows environment variables which set up the
home directory, because the login script overrides my settings.

I can set up the environment in a DOS box, but I like to be able to
invoke Vim by using the "edit with vim" context menu item.

Any advice on how to workaround this issue?  Vim keeps grinding to a
halt while waiting for a response from the network drive, so I have to
solve this.

If there's no way to workaround it in Vim, then I will contact IT to
see if they can change my login script.

Best Regards,
Paul Stone

The system-wide vimrc $VIM/vimrc (with no period or underscore) is read before every other configuration file, even your own _vimrc. However, it is common to all users. If you have write (or file-creation) access to it, you could add to it something like

if $HOME == 'Q:\home\paul'
        let $HOME = 'C:\paul\home'
endif

to establish a different $HOME directory, only for (g)vim and only for you.