Tony Young wrote:
Hello

I am trying to see if I can get vim/gvim to work with our work Sun box.

I Installed and used instructions from

        http://www.vim.org/
        http://www.vim.org/download.php#unix

Downloaded the runtime and source files together: vim-##.tar.bz2

i.e. I used: [ 6575205 Nov 22 17:46 vim-7.0.tar.bz2 ]

for install help, I used
        http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html
        SECTION 35 - BUILDING VIM FROM SOURCE

And typed commands (as root):

        Make
        Make install

        To install using defaults.

When I use
        Gvim

I get the following error

$ gvim
E233: cannot open display
Press ENTER or type command to continue

I am running on a

Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic Patch   October 2001

The result of the :version within gvim is

+folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
 -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
+mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
-mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
+netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile
-python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
-sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
-tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar
+user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
+wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact
+xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
    user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
Compilation: cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF  -I/usr/dt/inclu
de -I/usr/local/include  -O  -I/usr/openwin/include
Linking: cc -L/usr/dt/lib -R /usr/dt/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib -
L/usr/local/lib -o vim  -lXmu -lXext -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -ltermlib -lnsl
-lsocket  -ldl

According to the website:

http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/gui.html

for the error E233, it says that
First you must make sure you actually have a version of Vim with the GUI code
included.  You can check this with the ":version" command, it should include
"+GUI_Athena", "+GUI_BeOS", "+GUI_GTK", "+GUI_Motif" or "MS-Windows ... bit
GUI version".

You omitted the top lines from the ":version" listing, and they are important; but I see "+x11" and "-DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF" in what you showed, so I suppose you have compiled a version with Motif GUI.

See ":help :redir" about how to catch the output from a command such as ":version".

I would guess that I need a suitable graphical interface for the Sun box I am
using?

Your help/advice is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards
Tony

Yes, you need a graphical interface, not only compiled into Vim (you have that) but running on your system; IOW, you need a running X server, and gvim must have access to it (the "pure-text" console /dev/tty has no access to any X server). Gvim is the "GUI" version of Vim; in this case (gvim for x11) it can be run either in GUI mode or in console mode: in GUI mode, you can start it as "gvim" from a terminal having access to an X server (such as an xterm), from an icon on your X11 desktop, or from an Alt-X2 "Execute" prompt from your X window manager; or else you can start it as "vim" from any shell prompt, and in that case it will run in console mode.