I'm trying to use Gvim on Windows from a USB thumbdrive.  I found and
installed
the GvimPortable project (http://portablegvim.sourceforge.net/), and it works
pretty well.

The only problem is that I would like to use a non-standard location for
my vimfiles directory.  Here's the basic directory layout that I would
like to use:

USB_ROOT

|__/Apps

   |__/conf
   |  |
   |  |__/vim
   |     |
   |     |__vimrc
   |     |
   |     |__/vimfiles (my custom vimfiles dir)

   |__/GVimPortable

      |__GVimPortable.exe (which launches gvim)
      |__GVimPortable.ini (which has some config options)

Using this custom directory structure, I hope to protect my custom
vimfiles directory when I upgrade GvimPortable (or any other app on my
thumbdrive).

I'm currently able to set the location of the vimrc file using the
GVimPortable.ini file, but I'm unable to specify the location of my
custom vimfiles directory.  Since my vimfiles directory is usually
placed in my $HOME directory, I tried putting both of the following
commands into my vimrc:

    let $HOME = "."
    let $HOME = "E:/Apps/_conf/vim"

Both commands seems to change the value of the $HOME dir, but it does
nothing to load the plugins and such in my custom vimfiles directory.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Purl