On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 11:31:50AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Nov 15 2006 16:24:17)
> Included patches: 1-164
>

> I don't normally use utf8, but I have a uxterm running on Linux.
>
> If I copy and paste some UTF8 text from Firefox into Vim I see:
>
>     Weeding for Your Library\u2019s Health
>                             ^^^^^^^
>
> But, pasting into the xterm it works fine.
>
> That is, in my uxterm I do this (which works correctly):
>
>     $ echo "Weeding for Your Library’s Health" > utf8-test
>
> Where "Weeding..." was pasted into the xterm with my middle mouse
> click.
>
> Now in Vim I open utf8-test my screen looks fine and encoding? shows
> "encoding=utf8":
>
> Weeding for Your Library’s Health
> ~
>
> ~
>
> ~
>
>                                                               1,16
> All
>
> But, if I paste with my middle mouse button into Vim I get:
>
> Weeding for Your Library’s Health
> Weeding for Your Library\u2019s Health  <<<--- pasted line
> ~
>
> ~
>
> ~
>
> -- INSERT --                                                  2,18
> Bot
>
> What is it not pasting the utf8 character?
>
> set mouse?  shows "mouse=a".

     I cannot reproduce this problem.  Do you get the same behavior if
you paste with "*p (starting in Normal mode) or <C-R>* (starting in
Insert mode)?  What if you start vim with

$ vim -u NONE

(If your locale is set to something unicode, then 'encoding' should
still be set to utf-8; but it is still worth checking this and
correcting if I am wrong.)

     There may be something wrong with your terminal, or some sort of
argument between uxterm and vim.  Do you have a problem with gvim or
with vim running in other terminals?  I use gnome-terminal, but I get
the same (expected) result when I try with uxterm.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher