On Wed 13-Dec-06 9:26am -0600, you wrote:

> Bill McCarthy wrote:
>> Like most of you on Win XP, I build my own Vim and Gvim (for
>> Gvim I specify OLE=yes).  From Windows Explorer, when I
>> click on a .txt file, Gvim comes up for the file.
>>
>> I just tried clicking on a .vim file and received a dialog
>> (see ONEofTWO.gif) telling me that Windows cannot open the
>> file and asking me to search the web or select the program
>> from a list.  I picked select the program and got a second
>> dialog.
>>
>> That dialog (see TWOofTWO.gif) let me pick Gvim and check
>> the box to use Gvim for all .vim files.
>>
>> After performing these two tasks, Windows Explorer now opens
>> Gvim whenever I click on a .vim file.
>>
>> I created a directory name with spaces and put a file in
>> there with spaces in its name and ending with .vim - it
>> opened fine from explorer.

> You say it let you pick Gvim.  I assume you mean you selected
> "Vi Improved - A Text Editor".  I do the same thing, but
> it launches regular vim, not gvim.

That's exactly what I mean.

> If this is not what you meant, please clarify.  If anyone
> can explain my problems, please do so.

Looking through my registry tree, "Vi Improved - A Text
Editor" appears exactly 4 times, 2 each as data in:

  foo\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

Where "foo" is either:

  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
  HKEY_USERS\S1-1-5-21-.... (long Key)

The 2 Values are:

  C:\Vim\vim70\gvim.exe      (where I execute from)
  C:\vim\vim70\src\gvim.exe  (where make puts it)

Searching my registry tree for any key, value or date
containing "vim.exe" I only find things containing gvim.exe.

Yes, I have and use vim.exe, but there are no references to
it in the registry.

Bill