Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
Hi,

I would like my netrw buffers to behave as normal buffers, rather than
automagically disappear when one selects a file to edit from these
buffers. That would mean that I could :bd the edited file, and
automatically return to the netrw buffer to select another file from it.

I have tried to achieve this with autocommands, like:
autocmd FileType netrw setlocal buflisted
autocmd FileType netrw setlocal bufhidden=hide
but that doesn't do the trick.

I have a couple of mappings which pretend that the buffer is still
there by recreating it, but that is an error-prone approach:
noremap  <f4>      :bd <bar> e.<cr>

Is there some user option that can be set to modify the behaviour of
netrw buffers so that they are 1) not deleted
2) listed

In fact, I would like a similar behaviour for my help buffers, but that
is lower on my wishlist. (Maybe SantaClaus could bring me that one) :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, your family and your friends.

Guido.

Try opening your files with o (browse with horizontal split) rather than Enter (browse in the netrw window). Then ":q" on the file buffer should bring you back to the netrw window.

If you don't like the fact that the netrw window still takes screen real estate after the split, use ":set winheight=99999 winminheight=0" so the current window will expand to full height and all other windows will be reduced to only a status line.