Jürgen Krämer wrote:
  >Suresh Govindachar wrote:
  >> Jürgen Krämer wrote:
  >>
  >>> I don't see a place in the help files where % is documented to
  >>> skip comments. You can only force it to skip strings by removing
  >>> % from cpoptions (see ":help cpo-%").

  I made two mistakes:  mis-remembered that in Vim 6.x % ignored
  matching-entities in comments.  And mis-read the following in
  :help cpo-%:

      %   Vi-compatible matching is done for the "%" command.
          Does not recognize "#if", "#endif", etc.
          Does not recognize "/*" and "*/".

  to mean that without %, Vim would be in a non-vi-compatible state
  and support the two recognitions.

  --Suresh