Alan,

I recently figured out how to compile Vim on a Mac from source, so here is
the method I used. I too am fairly new at this, so if any Mac users can
improve on my instructions, feel free to do so.

I obtained the Vim sources through Subversion (I keep my source code
downloads in ~/Source). You may need to install a Subversion client on your
system to get this to work. Open Terminal and enter the following commands
(assuming ~/Source already exists):

  cd ~/Source
  svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/vim7

You may get prompted to accept the certificate after the second command ...
I usually hit 't' to accept it temporarily. If all goes well, you should end
up with a new vim7 directory in ~/Source.

I build Vim with Python and Ruby support and the huge feature set. You need
to have both languages installed on your system to build Vim this way. This
is what I would enter next:

  cd vim7/src
  ./configure --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge
  make
  make test

If you don't need support for Python and Ruby, just omit those options from
the ./configure line above. If you need support for other languages like
Perl, see the Makefile in the vim7/src directory for additional options.

If all goes well at this point, you can enter the following command to
install Vim in the /Applications folder:

  make install

This should move Vim.app to /Applications, and you can launch it from there.

When new patches come out, I just do the following to update my copy of Vim:

  cd ~/Source/vim7
  svn update
  cd src
  make