On Friday 16 February 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> Maybe -- I've never understood how to properly use the * register under
> X11. What comes from "Edit => Copy" (or Ctrl-C) in some non-Vim program
> arrives in the + register in gvim, and what I yank into the + register in
> gvim is available for "Edit => Paste" (or Ctrl-V) in any non-Vim program --
> those I can understand.

In short:
X has, in addition to the regular clipboard, a selection buffer.
When you copy/cut text, it is placed in the clipboard (register + in vim).
When you select text with the mouse it's placed in the selection buffer
(register * in vim) without touching the clipboard.
--
Erlend Hamberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]