Hi Laurent :)

 * vim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dixit:
> About the wrist movement that's just as bad when you hit ESC as when
> you use the arrow keys: just do the movement in slow motion for
> yourself:

    Yes, I've done it: the distance (in my keyboard at least) from touch
typing position to ESC and arrows is more or less the same (measured
from little finger to key). I have to move the same set of parts and
muscles, only in different directions (northwest for ESC, southeast for
arrows).

    Having the ESC key remapped DOES make a difference. I've tested a
bit and I move a bit faster (not counting errors due to insist that 'j'
is left instead of 'h') mapping ESC to 'jj' and using hjkl.
Unfortunately, I still have problems using 'h' :(

> If it is true that at first some of the shortcuts are a bit
> 'unnatural' and could feel like you type twice more to reach the same
> results as with using the keyboard-provided keys, in the long term,
> once you've mastered motion in Vim, you'll realise that it's tuely
> priceless and it does speed up your typing.

    You must take into account another thing: in any other program you
end up moving using the arrows and movement keys. So, doing movement
without thinking in vim is difficult to me, because a whole lot other
programs I use force me to use the arrows (no problem, because I don't
type as much text there, so I can keep my hand on the arrows). Learning
two sets of movements are not that difficult, but anyway *is* difficult.

    And of course, I'm not discussing that having the hand at touch
typing position really improves performance at the keyboard: that's
true. And blind typing does, too. The point I try to make is that ESC is
a very bad key to switch modes, but a simple mapping solves that,
really.

> Good luck with it!

    Thanks ;)) I'm still learning motion commands appart from hjkl, and
probably I will make a plan: learn to move by chars (done), after that
do it by words and later go to more sophisticated commands like 'f'.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado