Jeremy Conlin wrote:
I have noticed when I open a Vim session, my formatoptions and
textwidth variables are reset to the default even though I have the
following lines in my .vimrc file:

set linebreak
set textwidth=80
set formatoptions=ncroqt

Does opening a session prevent Vim from looking at ~/.vimrc?
[...]

Opening a session _overrides_ the vimrc by setting all settings mentioned in the session after the vimrc has been sourced: according to ":help startup", the vimrc is sourced at step 3, while (-S and) -c arguments are processed at step 12 (the fact that -S is treated as a variant of -c is mentioned under ":help -S" in the same helpfile).

I suppose you may edit your session file manually to remove the 'nolinebreak', 'textwidth' and 'fo' settings.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.
                -- Walt Kelly