Eric Roberts wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in being able to send/recieve telnet messages. It's for a debugger that is used over telnet. I know this is a fairly esoteric problem, and as far as I can tell there's no direct way of doing this but I thought I'd might ask to be sure. If there isn't any direct support for this - what's the best method of extending Vim to do this? I've looked at the the vimsh plugin - which does nearly what I need it too, except interactive programs like the telnet client program on windows doesn't work. The gdbvim and the clewn project seem to demonstrate that is definately possible to communicate between different processes and Vim.

I don't mind a learning curve, I'm just interested in where would I start? ;)

Thanks for your time in advance,

- Eric

Why do you want to use Vim to send and receive telnet messages? Vim is a text editor, not a front-end for an interactive program like a shell (see ":help shell-window) or the telnet program.

Start gvim in one (MS-Windows) window and telnet from a Dos Box in another window, and you'll have Vim and telnet on the same screen.

Or if you're dead set on launching interactive sessions in an editor window, use emacs (withing a Cygwin shell if necessary).

Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.