lin q wrote:
Hi,
  I downloaded the vim 7.0 package to my RedHat Enterprise 3 machine.
I do not have administrator previlidge, so I setup the env like this:

export DESTDIR=<my_dir>
export prefix=<my_dir>

  Then I run
make
make install

  But when I run vim, <my_dir>/usr/local/bin/vim, I get this error:

Error detected while processing /home/linq/.vimrc:
line   10:
E484: Can't open file /usr/local/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim
Press ENTER or type command to continue

  Line 10 of my vimrc is: syntax on

  I am wondering why it still goes to /usr/local to look for data
files. Is there a way I can control this?

  By the way, in throwing the above error message, VIM starts, but it
is not GUI mode even though I have -g in the command, is that because
of the above problem?

Thanks.

Uncomment line 858

        #prefix = $(HOME)

in src/Makefile (IIUC, the runtime files will end up in $(prefix)/share/vim/vim70/ and, if exec-prefix is not set, the executable(s) will end up in $(prefix)/bin/, which should be in the $PATH.)

then, set your configure options and

        cd src
        make reconfig > ../make.log 2>&1
        ls -l vim
        ./vim --version |more

and, if the last two look OK,

        make install

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked
at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
                -- Poul Anderson