Peter Nasholm wrote:
Thanks for the hint,

Indeed there seems to be something about what you suggest. At least, I get

:verbose au cursorhold
--- Auto-Commands ---
Hit ENTER or type command to continue

I will try to dig a little bit deeper into this to see if I find a
solution. However, there is nothing about cursorhold in my .vimrc
file.

/ Petern

For Insert mode, it is CursorHoldI (v7 only), not CursorHold. The above shows that you have no autocommands defined for the latter, but what about the former?

Note: Please use "Reply to List" (if you mailer has it) or "Reply to All", not "Reply to Sender": it's better to allow other Vim users than me to see what you say.

There once was a lady from Exeter,
So pretty that men craned their necks at her.
        One was even so brave
        As to take out and wave
The distinguishing mark of his sex at her.