On Mar 25, 2007, at 1:34 AM, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

Having to start ex-commands with a colon doesn't bother me. I don't think it is due to the colon being unshifted on my AZERTY keyboard: IIRC, on en_US QWERTY keyboards, the colon is conventiently located right of the L, near enough to the right Shift key for the two of them to be easily accessible with two fingers (such as little and ring fingers) of the right hand.

I use an EN_US MacBook Pro (and other EN_US Macs), and it never even occurred to me to think that the ex-command-mode character needed changing, which is slightly unusual, because I am an inveterate "tweaker" of control- and command-keys in every other program... Maybe I'm just accustomed to the colon character being used in that manner.

On the EN_US keyboard, there is generally a shift key on both sides of the keyboard, so it's the pinky finger on both hands that I fire off to make a colon... (Truth be told, I type the semi-colon character with my right ring finger for reasons that are not entirely clear even to me... I'm a very rapid typist, but apparently not a completely compliant one.)

Dave