> Reading over my original question, I realize that it was
> awfully obtuse and confusing.  The 'nohlsearch' line is the
> one that is already in my .vimrc and works.  I yanked/put it
> to the next line down to use it as a template, modifing it to:
>
> map <F3> :set nobackup <return>
>
> that's the one that doesn't work (the <return>
> part-obviously-works with my original line).
>
> I did notice that the highlighting recognized the word 'set'
> as a command, but did not recognize 'nobackup', which remained
> white (black?).  Thus, I tried:
>
> map <F3> ":set nobackup" <return>
>
> with no better luck.  Sorry for creating the confusion.

The quotes are definitely not the way to go.  I've tried

        vim -u test_vimrc.vim

where test_vimrc.vim contained merely your first line (slightly
modified):

        nnoremap <f3> :set nobackup<return>

and it worked fine.  I don't know whether it has to do with
switching over to nnoremap (I prefer to be explicit when I
specify a mapping) or some other plugin that is overriding your
desired settings.  You  might try

        :scriptnames

to see what scripts are being loaded (and may want to investigate
them in the event that one of them is rebinding <f3>).

-tim