>after having read the user-manual. For example, I do often want to
>replace a name in the text with another. What I used to do is
>selecting it with mouse and type
>:%s/<ctrl-ins>/newname/gc
>Is there a way to do this with the mouse (and without retyping the
name) ?
>What I want is maybe something like 'invoking a yanked register in my
>colon command'

Me, I go to whatever I'm looking for, hit 'v', then use normal motion
commands (eg, "3e") to highlight the text in question, instead of using
the moose.

If a single word, '*' will automagically highlight and search for the
word under the cursor.

>From there, once you highlighted the exact pattern you want, can just
use

        :%s//newname/gc

as it remembers what you just looked for.  No need to reinsert it for
the 's' command.