Dave Land wrote:
[...]
Oddly enough, this mapping also takes over plain old control-g,
which is fine for me.
[...]

There's nothing odd to that: in "cooked" input mode (as used by Vim), Ctrl-G and Ctrl-g both (by design) map to the BEL character, 0x07. This applies to any Ctrl+letter combination: in ASCII (not EBCDIC), Ctrl+letter = (letter AND 0x17) where "letter" is in the range [a-zA-Z].

From the moment I picked your book up until I put it down I was
convulsed with laughter.  Some day I intend reading it.
                -- Groucho Marx, from "The Book of Insults"