Hi,

 sorry for this meta offtopic question...but I need informations about
 some internals of vim...

 I am using mutt to compose and read mail. The editor for this is vim
 (surprised? :) Mutt/Vim are running on/in/at/on top off/with (or what
 else the correct preposition is... X-) mrxvt. And all this is running
     on a Linux 2.6.20.6 Gentoo Linux.

 Now: When I am receiving mail containing german umlauts, they will be
 displayed as "\<number>" inside mutt.  Inside vim these mails are
 displayed correctly when cited -- most of the times. But in some
 cases the umlauts also get corrupted.

 Entering umlauts in vim is also no problem.

 Entering umlauts on the commandlind (zsh/mrxvt) also displayed them
 correctly. Filenames containing umlauts are displayed...hrmmm...
 encrypted but will be correctly expanded (<TAB>) when using the zsh
 completion system.

 These mix of "it works" and "it does not work" confuses me.  Would
 vim be able to display german umlauts correctly if the system
 completly ignores/does not know of  UTF-8 ?

 What is the trick I am missing to display german umlauts correctly
 with mutt? There are recipes out there in the internet which
 discribes the _complete_ change from ASCII to UTF-8 for mutt. But
 these recipes describes more or less the change either on base of a
 totally UTF-8 aware system (which seems not applicable in my case) or
 the a complete recompilation of the whole system as a migration
 from ASCII to UTF-8 ... which seems not to be needed in my case.

 The basic question is for me: How can vim display german umlauts
 correctly if the world outside of vim seems not to be completly
 UTF-8 aware? What do I need to change in the chain ?

 Thank you very much for your help in advance!
 Keep editing!
 mcc