The following is the result of doing

i1.1<CR><ESC>.

1.1
1¬1

that is inserting 1.1 and a newline, and then repeating. For some
strange reason the . isn't repeated as it should be.

I'm running the text version of vim in a gnome terminal on fedora core
6 using utf-8.

I don't get the behavior you describe on any of the platforms I tried it. My first thought is that some plugin or terminal setting is messing you up.

Does it happen when you start vim with

        vim -u NONE

(which would bypass your startup files)? If so, you either have a wonky build or gnome terminal is doing something abnormal. However, if the same behavior doesn't occur when you skip your startup files, you have some sort of funky mapping/plugin that's hosing you expectations.

I suspect it's the latter.

You can use

        :scriptnames
        :map

to determine which scripts have been loaded, and which mappings have been created. Armed with the above information, tracking down the problem should be much easier.

-tim