Thanks Bram and Tony, haven't been ignoring your replies, but it's my work machine and they have just updated to Debian Etch, but I haven't restarted my machine yet as I have a lot of things running at the moment and so was waiting for the weekend. Anyway just this morning I thought I would check on which version was actually packaged on Etch and it is: 1:7.0-122+1etch2
So I guess that won't help much if patch 182 is especially important!
So....as it's my work machine and I don't have root access, do I need to go and talk nicely to the system administrator to get him to apply these patches?

Thanks for all the help,
Rob.

Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Rob Cussons wrote:

just wondering if anyone else had experienced an error message like this. It seems that every so often, I've not managed to find any systematics to this, when I try to perform an undo, I get "undo line numbers wrong" or something similar, sorry I don't have the exact error in front of me, it happened about 5 minutes ago and I was in the middle of something, so I just dealt with it! It doesn't happen very often, but when it does if I later try to undo something, it all goes a bit haywire and seems to not undo the last change etc. Sorry this is so vague, if it happens again, I'll see if I can pin it down better. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and maybe knew the cause.

What is your ":version" output?

Hi Bram, below is the :version output.

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Jul 16 2006 12:51:49)
Included patches: 1-35

There were a few updates to the undo function, especially patch 182.
You could try including all the patches that are available.

If the problem persists please try to find out what triggers the
problem.  There might also be something in your environment that matters
(esp. plugins).  It works fine for everybody else, so what is different
for you?