A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
Nikolaos A. Patsopoulos wrote:
Hi all,

I'm very sorry to bother the list with this problem but I've been searching in the web the couples hours to find an answer and still haven't find any.

The problem is that I have a txt file of 3.5GB containing all the info of Human chromosome 6. I want to save into one another file all lines that have the pattern rs10946398 (occurring only ones). I know that vi cannot handle files so big. I used ed in Fedora5 but this too cannot stream it. I hope that grep or sed can do this but cannot figure how to. I tried the following for sed but doesn't work:

sed '/rs10946398/p' chr6.txt

Can someone help?

Thank in advance,

Nikos

grep rs10946398 < chr6.txt > chr6.extract.txt

Grep is a filter, remember? It takes its input from stdin, writes its output on stdout, and the regexp is on the command-line. The output consists of all input lines matching the pattern.

Since in this case the pattern is a fixed string, we can also use fgrep (or grep -F) instead of grep.

Thanks,

I found also the solution with sed:

sed -n '/rs10946398/p' chr6.txt  >o.txt

Thanks,