Eric Smith wrote:
On 08/05/07, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In an autocommand, you need an ex-command, which <Esc> isn't. I suggest

        :au CursorHoldI * stopinsert

Make sure 'updatetime' has a long enough value (the default is 4000, i.e., 4
seconds, which might be a little short for some people).

Problem now is that I already have:
    au CursorHoldI * update
and this wants an updatetime of 4000 while as you say stopinsert will
want a higher number.

Is there a way?

Thanks

Eric

If you can bear to have insert mode stopped after you stopped banging at keys for "only" four seconds, or if you can bear to have the autosave happen not four seconds after you stopped banging at keys but after some more delay, then there is a way. (I would suggest 10 seconds but YMMV.)

If you want a fast auto save _and_ a slow stopinsert, then it isn't obvious how to do it, since the CusorHoldI event will fire _once_ when you're in Insert mode and haven't been using the keyboard in Vim for 'updatetime' milliseconds, and then it won't fire again until you hit a key. (I think clicking the mouse counts as "hitting a key" in this context but I'm not 100% sure.)

If God had not given us sticky tape, it would have been necessary to
invent it.