Hi Thomas,

On 14/05/07, Thomas Michael Engelke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello!

I just opened one of the files we develop, written by another
programmer. I can see a "^M" at the end of every line.

I quickly check the mailing list archive and find out, that this
mainly depends on the setting of "fileformat". I check "fileformat"
and find out that it's "unix". Ah, the problem. I set it to "dos". But
nothing changes.

How does vim determine what "fileformat" a file should have? I mean, a
0x13 before every linebreaking 0x10 should give at least some hint
that this might not be a unix file.

Maybe the file contains something that makes vim think this is a
"unix" fileformat file? And why doesn't the interpretation change when
I change fileformat? "binary" is set to "nobinary", as I read in the
help that this might cause problems.

Try:

:set fileformats?
:help fileformats