Micah Cowan wrote:
linda.s wrote:
Hi,
I am a beginner in VIM. Wonder whether there is any good book for VIM?
Also, what is the difference between vim and latex?

Linda, I've personally found the vim tutorial to be a quite-adequate
means to learning vim. Just type "vimtutor" in your terminal, and you're
good to go!

Comparing vim and latex is somewhat akin to comparing apples to
screwdrivers. They're just completely different. Vim is a fully-featured
text editor (which is often used to edit input to latex); latex is a
typesetting program (or, more pedantically, a "format" for the TeX
typesetting program), which takes text files formatted a particular way,
and produces output suitable for printing.

I agree the vimtutor is a great place to start. Once you have worked through that simply typing :h and reading through the help files is very informative. If you read :h tags first, you will learn how to navigate through the help file tag system. I printed all the help files in order and had them bound to read on a trip. If you like having a hard copy this is one of the
best.

If you're looking for a good book with a little more fluff, try http://www.truth.sk/vim/vimbook-OPL.pdf

Kevin