On 2007-05-15, Tom Purl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Task:  Wiki Format Sign-Off
> Deadline:  Monday, May 21st (arbitrary, I know)
>
> Overview
> ========
>
> We've had some great, constructive discussions lately regarding how we
> will be creating and editing tips in the future.  Before we can finally
> decide how this is going to work, however, we need to decide upon a page
> format for tips.
>
> The most recently-updated wiki tip examples can be found at the
> following URL:
>
> * http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/VimTest
>
> The following tips should stand out:
>
> * http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1
> * http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1_v2
>
> This first tip uses the Template:Tip template
> (http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Tip), and the second tip uses
> the Template:Tip2 template
> (http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Tip2).
>
> Requested Actions
> =================
>
> Please take a look at these tips, decide which one you prefer, and then
> provide constructive criticism for that tip's format.  There's no such
> thing as a dumb comment.

I much prefer "VimTip1 v2".  Whether just browsing tips or reading
tips I've searched for, I want to be able to read it quickly without
having to scan through a bunch of boilerplate.  I would even
advocate a Synopsis line that would summarize the tip if the title
didn't already do so.  I like having the meta data collected as it
is in one line at the bottom of the tip:  it's concise and in an
unobtrusive yet consistent and easy-to-find location.

In the table of contents, each tip really needs to have the title
alongside its number.  The first page,
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/VimTest, is lacking that, unless
the names there (e.g., VimTip123) are just place holders for real
titles.  I really don't want to have to load each tip page one at a
time to browse the latest contributions.

My $0.02.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Mobile Broadband Division