Am Dienstag 15 Mai 2007 schrieb Sebastian Menge:
> Am Montag, den 14.05.2007, 21:49 +0200 schrieb Martin Krischik:
> > Now refresh my mind: Why did we choose advertising ridden wikea over
> > advertising free wikibooks?
>
> There was already a lot of discussion on this topic but no real
> decision. I think that mediawiki is accepted as the most stable,
> feature-rich and spam-resistant software around.
>
> Given that we dont want to host the wiki ourselves, we need a hosting
> service: Here's a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_farms
> There are no mediawiki-based offers that are completely free.
>
> If someone has an idea where/howto host a mediawiki completey free, that
> would be best!
>
> Here my pros and cons for wikia vs wikibooks:
>
> 1 +wikia: no costs
> 2 +wikia: a complete wiki, not just a bunch of pages
> 3 -wikia: ads
>
> 4 +wikibooks: really free, open content
> 5 -wikibooks: is intended for books/lecture material. vim tips doesnt
> fit that. A real book would need a structure in chapters,sections etc.

6 +wikibooks: "personal" Administrator.

> For me points 2 and 5 win. But anyway I would love to see a good VimBook
> on wikibooks.
>
> Other ideas/votes?

Now on WikiBook there is allready a "real book" with structure in chapters,
sections ;-) - it's called "Learning the vi editor".  Of the 16 chapters 7
are Vim chapters :-). And I belive Vim covers more the 50% of the content.

Now the Wiki motto is "Content first" so here my advertising free suggestion:

1) We add the Vim tips to the "Tips and Tricks" Chapter
2) Once we we have enough tips (content) we split the book.

Wikibooks does not ask you to create "structure in chapters,sections" up
front. It is not even suggested! Suggested is  "Content first" and "structure
in chapters,sections" later.

BTW: With a tabbed browser and a fast internet connection you can rename 10
pages per minute - I once rename a 200 page book from "Programming:Ada"
to "Ada Programming".

Martin

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_the_vi_editor
[2] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_the_vi_editor/Vim/Tips_and_Tricks