Guido Milanese wrote:
[...]
Important: use a font with a decently complete set of chars. In Linux you should be able to use Gentium, I believe, but personaly I prefer a fixed font and use "Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono" with excellent results.
[...]

Except in the GTK+2 version of gvim, variable-vidth fonts are simply not permitted.

In the GTK+2 version, any font is permitted, but anything other than a monospaced font will look ugly, because the character cell has a fixed size in Vim, so narrower glyphs will get extra space between them (bad), and wider glyphs will get clipped at the character cell edge (worse).

Yes, Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is a good-looking font. For any language whose glyphs are not present, try Courier New if it exists on your system. It is not so good-looking but it has a large number of different alphabets. Not CJK double-width glyphs though.

Pascal, n.:
        A programming language named after a man who would turn over in
his grave if he knew about it.