Tim Chase wrote:
Hmm... This post of mine seems to be eliciting two kinds of reactions: "Me too, me too" and "Don't, you fool, he may be a spammer harvesting addresses".

I think I'll leave it on the backburner for a while, waiting for the situation to clarify. Comments, anyone?

This is the vim list, after all...surely a quick regexp to mangle/hide the email adderesses could be applied across any such files? I don't know the inner workings of mbox (all in one file? multiple files in one directory?), but some short work with argdo should take care of it :)

mbox is (IIUC) the format used by Thunderbird, Outlook Express (but not Outlook), and many other mailers for what they misleadingly call "email folders". Each "folder" is a single file (from the OS's viewpoint). Email headers are included. Any munging I would do would be applied equally to headers and body.

 sh$ cd /path/to/vim/mbox
 sh$ mkdir ../munged
 sh$ cp * ../munged
 sh$ cd ../munged
 sh$ vim *
 :set hidden
:argdo %s/[EMAIL PROTECTED])+/\=substitute(substitute(submatch(0), '\.', ' [DOT] ', 'g'), '@', ' [AT] NoSpAm.', 'g')/g
 :wqa
 sh$ cd ..
 sh$ tar cvfz vim_ml.tgz munged

It may mung a bit more or less redacting than one actually wants, but for the most part, it should stave off the fears that the OP is a spam harvester. My inkling is that such is not the case...there are a lot more fertile grounds for harvesting addresses than personally asking for mbox files in a place as niche as the vim ML. And if targeting the "mass audience", I suspect they would as for an Outlook/OE ".PST" file instead of mbox :)

My Turing-test-o-meter is registering fairly high on the "it's a human" scale. :)

-tim

If the colleges were better, if they really had it, you would need to
get the police at the gates to keep order in the inrushing multitude.
See in college how we thwart the natural love of learning by leaving
the natural method of teaching what each wishes to learn, and insisting
that you shall learn what you have no taste or capacity for.  The
college, which should be a place of delightful labor, is made odious
and unhealthy, and the young men are tempted to frivolous amusements to
rally their jaded spirits.  I would have the studies elective.
Scholarship is to be created not by compulsion, but by awakening a pure
interest in knowledge.  The wise instructor accomplishes this by
opening to his pupils precisely the attractions the study has for
himself.  The marking is a system for schools, not for the college; for
boys, not for men; and it is an ungracious work to put on a professor.
                -- Ralph Waldo Emerson