[Arn]

Any suggestions on keys/key combos that are good candidates for custom mappings etc?

The usual is \ followed by something. I initially fought this convention, because \ is a bit hard to type on my keyboard, and tried other things instead, with various levels of conflicts and displeasure. I finally gave in the convention and overcame the keyboard difficulty.

I think Bram mentioned he's found prefixing with _ works well..

The _ key is sometimes suggested as well, and some say it is unused. But this is not true, _ is a very useful command for me (it brings the cursor back at the first non-blank character of the current line).

A common approach is to use timeouts for recognizing a single key command when that key is also the prefix of multi-key commands. The timeout is not incurred when you immediately follow the single key command by other commands which are not ambiguous with the multi-key commands, but if you want to see the effect of the single key command, you have to suffer the timeout, which may be a bit irritating at times.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca