> The only thing that requires a little care (IIUC) is to make sure that if the
> tilde is followed by a backslash, the latter is a "true" backslash and not an
> "escaper" backslash for something else than a backslash: in ~\foo, ~ means
> $HOME while in ~\ foo it doesn't, and the filename is "~ foo". But maybe I'm
> overcomplexifying.

Mmm. That seems true enough. But then who starts a filename with a tilde
anyway?!

But what I was actually referring to was the ability to expand other users'
home
directories with ~user. That could be handy on Windows, too, but I don't know
what
hoops you might need to go through to reliably find other users' directories!

> Vim-for-Cygwin is a Unix-like build, the shell handles the tilde. This thread
> is only busy with native-window at this point.

O yes, of course. Easy.

Ben.