Well, I suppose by 'works as expected' I meant that the string escapes
didn't blow up :)

What I think should be acceptable behavior is for the guitabtooltips to
behave the same as the tooltips given by the balloon-eval feature.

>From debugger.txt line 103:

"The Balloon evaluation functions are also used to show a tooltip for the
toolbar."

Well, if the tooltips on the
toolbar are supposed to use the same functions as ballooneval, then
why not the guitab tooltips?

I realize that the 'toolbar' option doesn't apply to Win32, and so the
toolbar settings, including "tooltips" maybe don't, either.  I'm sure there
is a prefectly reasonable explanation for why they weren't implemented the
same way on Windows.  At any rate, it would be nice if the text displayed by
'guitabtooltip' was given the same treatment as 'balloonexpr'  text.

On 02/01/2008, Ben Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Erik Falor wrote:
> > While writing a guitabtooltip function, I discovered that the
> > tooltips in Win32 don't properly handle backslash-escaped chars.
> > In particular, '\n' comes out as a box, and '\t' appears to terminate
> > the string like '\0'.
> >
> > The GTK gui on Linux, however, works as expected.
>
> I for one would be interested in knowing what actually is 'expected' in
> this
> circumstance. I personally think that's quite unclear and am not at all
> surprised
> there is a difference between platforms.
>
> I guess it's obvious that \n should be a newline. But should they be left
> justified? Or centered? Or...?
>
> If tabs are used, should they line up, given the proportional font? What
> width
> should they be? Etc.?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.