On Fri 4-Jan-08 4:55am -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> The comments in the patch contain non-ASCII characters.  I've seen
> before that these may cause trouble.
>
> If you used the path from the e-mail you can first check if it's equal
> to what is on the ftp site:
> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/7.1.193
>
> Then check the lines in digraph.c if they match with what's in the
> patch.  Perhaps patch itself can't handle characters with the 8th bit
> set.

I capture the mail in what is called RFC-822 format by my
mail client (The Bat!).  It does NOT match the file in the
patches folder of the vim FTP site - those graphic
characters are replaced by '=xx' where the xx is hex
representation of the graphics character - probably an
encoding issue as Tony mentioned.

Anyway, I've grabbed the patched digraph.c from svn and have
successfully build vim and gvim 203.

Thanks to all of you - Tony, Bram and Chip - for responding.

Bill