On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Andrew McCarthy wrote:

>  On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:57:02AM -0500, James Vega wrote:
>  > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:06:24PM +0000, Andrew McCarthy wrote:
>  > > Thoughts? Any better/cleaner ideas?
>  >
>  > mkdir -p ~/.vim/tmp
>  > echo 'set directory=$HOME/.vim/tmp' >> .vimrc
>
>  That works alright, but I was hoping to avoid a total change to the
>  setting (hence the idea of directory being global-local). In directories
>  shared between users over networks, for instance, swap files in the same
>  directory is useful.
>
>  Perhaps for the specific case of Mutt, I'll just suggest invoking with
>     vim --cmd 'set directory=~' ...

In the specific case of Mutt, I think that might be best.  After all,
the user didn't invoke the editor himself, it was invoked by Mutt, and
it's pretty unlikely that he'll be doing much editing in it - probably
just write his email, save, and quit.  Since I would think that to be
by far the most common use case for a vim started through mutt, the
fact that it's a global option is not really a huge concern.  On the
other hand, I also think that this would be a good thing to have as a
global-local... since I too have lost swap files in my /tmp.  :(

If 'directory' were global-local, it would be easy enough for distro
maintainers to add a script that scrapes /proc/mounts for FS types
known to be volatile and default to not putting swap files in them.
Swap files for locking are nice, but swap files for recovery are much
more important...
~Matt