Ben Schmidt wrote:

> I started this patch as it seemed a while ago some aspects it may be
> helpful for MacVim. Recently I have dug it up and further revised it,
> as I was coming across some other troubles using --remote-expr when
> Vim is running in different modes. It extends the mode() function to
> return a more full set of modes.
>
> The one bearing most comment is the one for when a shell is running
> (:shell in the GUI). I'm not entirely convinced having this as a
> separate 'mode' is really the best thing. Hoewver, the alternative
> would be somehow delaying a server's processing and reply to
> --remote-expr et al. and I suspect this is pretty non-trivial. Having
> mode() return something different is a good step even if it isn't the
> final one, I think.
>
> Would you be able to include this?

Problem with this change is that it's not backwards compatible.  E.g.,
currently Vim would return "n" in operator-pending mode, after the
change it would return "o".

How about giving mode() an argument?  When present and non-zero it would
switch to return more information.  I would then return both the "major"
mode and the detail.  E.g., for Vim Ex mode it would be "cv", normal Ex
mode "ce" and for command-line mode "c".  Then for those places where it
doesn't matter what kind of command-line mode is being used you would
only check the first letter.  Also makes it easier for future changes,
so long as it fits in the current "major" modes.

--
The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize