Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 23/06/08 19:28, Ben Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi, Bram,
>>
>> Another oddity I've recently discovered is that str2nr won't accept an
>> explicitly
>> positive number, such as '+3'.
>>
>> This is unexpected. Would you be willing to adjust the behaviour? I can't
>> think of
>> any negative/compatibility-breaking side effects this would have, but I also
>> don't
>> know where the vim_str2nr function is used.
>>
>> The attached patch does the job.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ben.
>
> In +3, + is a unary operator, which in this case doesn't change the
> number 3 to which it is applied.

That's one interpretation.

But it's equally valid to interpret +3 as a number.

And since str2nr converts strings to Numbers, I feel it should accept
such a number.

> Maybe a note would be needed under ":help Number" to mention that +3 is
> parsed as two tokens, viz. the unary operator + and the number 3

If this is to be fixed by documentation...which is a dumb idea in my
opinion, as I can see no reason not to allow +3 to be a number (since +
as an operator does nothing, and + as part of a number does nothing, it
doesn't matter how it's interpreted, and from a human point of view, +3
is definitely a valid number) it should be documented at str2nr() since
that is where it breaks.

Ben.