On Oct 13, 6:41 pm, "Matt Wozniski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM, John Little wrote:
> > On Oct 14, 12:13 pm, frankjas wrote:
> >> I have been encountering an intermittent coredump ...
>
> >> I rebuilt vim from source with symbols after I stumbled on a
> >> reproduceable test case today...
>
> > Brilliant.
>
> >> follows. It looks like the field uh_next_alt is being corrupted. Often
> >> in the backtrace it also contains the value 0x11.
>
> >> I can write up the
> >> exact steps to reproduce this error for anyone interested/capable of
> >> debugging this error.
>
> > Yes, please.  An early step will be to try it with an up to date
> > version of vim,
> > which is at 7.2.025, some hundreds of fixes after 7.1.138.
>
> > Regards, John
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/219546
>
> In short, Ubuntu Hardy shipped with a seriously buggy version - any
> vim version between 7.1.127 and 7.1.146 suffers from double-frees
> leading to crashes.  Your best bet is to rebuild from source, either
> from the package source with the latest 7.1 patches, or from the
> up-to-date 7.2 sources, or to install the Ubuntu Intrepid vim.
>
> ~Matt

I built 7.2 from standard vim sources, with "./configure --with-
features=huge --with-gnome" and
no seg-fault on the test case, so apparently the intermediate patches
from 7.1.138 to 7.2 did the trick.

Thanks for the info on buggy vim in hardy. I've been googling around
for a while, didn't stumble on that one.

Frank