Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Vim is now capable of displaying any Unicode codepoint for which the
> installed 'guifont' has a glyph, even outside the BMP (i.e., even above
> U+FFFF), but there's no easy way to represent those "high" codepoints by
> Unicode value in strings: I mean, "\uxxxx" and \Uxxxx" still accept no
> more than four hex digits.
>
> I propose to keep "\uxxxx" at its present meaning, but extend
> "\Uxxxxxxxx" to allow additional hex digits (either up to a total of 8
> hex digits, in line with ^VUxxxxxxxx as opposed to ^Vuxxxx in Insert
> mode, or at least up to the value \U10FFFF, above which the Unicode
> Consortium has decided that "there never shall be a valid Unicode
> codepoint at any future time".
>
> I'm aware that this is an "incompatible" change, but I believe the risk
> is low compared with the advantages (as a sidenote, many rare CJK
> characters lie in plane 2, in the "CJK Unified Extension B" range
> U+20000-U+2A6DF).
>
> The notation "\<Char-0x20000>" or "\<Char-131072>" doesn't work: here
> (in my GTK2/Gnome2 gvim with 'encoding' set to UTF-8), ":echo"ing such a
> string displays <f0><a0><80><fe>X<80><fe>X instead of just the one CJK
> character 𠀀 (and, yes, I've set my mailer to send this post as UTF-8 so
> if yours is "well-behaved" it should display that character properly).

It does cause problems for something like "\U12345" which would now be
the character 0x1234 followed by the character 5.  After the change it
would become one character 0x12345.

I don't see a convenient alternative though.  Anyone?

--
Even got a Datapoint 3600(?) with a DD50 connector instead of the
usual DB25...  what a nightmare trying to figure out the pinout