Ralf Schandl wrote:

> after several years I had the chance to compile Vim on zOS Unix.

That's nice to hear.  I like supporting small groups of users.

> I already fixed some problems, but some are left:
>
> 1) test 11 fails, because gzip is not available on zOS Unix (at least
>     not by default).
>     Perhaps this test could be rewritten to use a program, that is
>     guaranteed to be available. Xxd would be a candidate.
>     See attached test11a.tar.gz

Sounds like a good idea.

> 2) test24 fails, as it is ASCII dependent
>     The ASCII dependencies doesn't seem to be the only problem here.
>     Still investigating...
>
> 3) test 42 fails (as expected), as multi_byte is disabled
>     Well, in fact the test result equals the test42.ok, but
>     the zOS diff can't handle files containing nul-chars.
>     Also the two files are identical doesn't mean that the test was
>     successful, because the files are no valid multibyte files after
>     transferring them to zOS, due to LATIN1->EBCDIC conversion.
>
> 4) test 55  fails, as the expected sort result of lists are ASCII
>     dependent.
>     test 57 fails, as the expected sort result is ASCII dependent
>
> 5) test 58 (spell check) ends in a SigSegV (spell.c:7474)
>     Not investigated.
>     As I need Vim for administrative tasks, spellcheck has no priority
>     for me.

I guess the spell checking only works for ASCII compatible encodings,
thus not for EBCDIC.  You can perhaps try if it works at all.  If not
it's better to disable, so that Vim doesn't crash when someone tries to
use it.

> 6) QUOTESED in Makefile
>     Is:
>        QUOTESED = sed -e 's/[\\"]/\\&/g' -e 's/\\"/"/' -e 's/\\";$$/";/'
>     On zOS Unix all backslashes have to be escaped:
>        QUOTESED = sed -e 's/[\\\\"]/\\\\&/g' -e 's/\\\\"/"/' -e
> 's/\\\\";$$/";/'
>
>     Any idea how to solve this in a portable way?

You need to adjust the configure script for this.

> 7) eval.c: The table with the functions is sorted by ASCII value. So
>     binary search doesn't work on an EBCDIC system.
>     I fixed this by sorting the table in a function called from
>     eval_init. Is this the right place?

Should be.  Another solution is to skip the binary search and use linear
search.

> I will try to prepare a patch next week.
>
> Any ideas or comments?

I'm not so worried about the tests.  The more of the real problems you
can fix the better.

--
        **  Hello and Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline **
If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.