On 4/13/09, Gary Johnson wrote:

>  On 2009-04-14, Lech Lorens wrote:
>  > The attached patch changes the default 'foldmethod' for the quickfix
>  > window to manual.
>

> I'm a little concerned about applying such fine tuning of individual
>  window behavior to the source code.  If there is a general rule in
>  vim for the option values that windows inherit when they are
>  created, I think we should use that general rule unless there is a
>  compelling reason to do otherwise.  As you say, this could also be
>  fixed with a ftplugin/qf.vim script, which would be a more
>  consistent method of applying such filetype-specific adjustments.

Well... I'm not sure I agree.  The quickfix, location list, and
command-line windows are already very distinct from any other windows
you can create.  They behave differently, they have special commands
that open and close them, they have key bindings that only apply in
that one type of window.  It seems reasonable that the code for these
types of windows should be as centralized as possible - doing it all
in vimscript would be a noble goal, but is certainly beyond the
abilities that are currently available in vimscript, and barring that,
I think that all of their special-case behavior should be held in the
source code.

~Matt